A family member or friend has been diagnosed with dementia

Dementia affects everyone in different ways and it is difficult to say exactly what you can expect to happen and when.

Within the existing relationship you may have become a carer

Not only are you having to face the changes occurring to the individual with dementia but also your relationship may now involve being a carer. You may find that you need to take on additional responsibilities, including guiding, supporting and caring for the person with dementia.

It may be hard to consider the changes and be accepting of the additional responsibility. This may include financial responsibility when you are used to the person with dementia being completely independent.

If you have some idea of what to expect or what might happen, it gives you time to think about how you will deal with the changes.

To help you plan ahead, this section gives a general overview of what the future may hold for you as a friend or family caregiver. We also give information, advice and resource information to help you to support the person you care for and at the same time ensure that you are not forgotten on their journey.

Although it might not seem like it at times, you are never alone. There is a lot of support for you as a carer, from professionals, agencies, service providers, advice centres and carers’ organisations, some specialising in support for people with dementia. As a carer you also have carers’ rights that are protected in law.

Support organisations

A variety of support groups will exist in your local area. To find out who they are and how to contact them, it may be useful to contact some of the national organisations listed below.

Age UK or call 0800 169 2081

Alzheimer’s Society or call 0845 300 0336

The Lewy Body Society or call 0131 473 2385

Carers UK or call 0808 808 7777

The Princess Royal Trust or call 0844 800 4361

Concerns regarding financial or other abuse of a vulnerable person

If you have any concerns regarding financial or other abuse of a vulnerable person, you should contact the Office of the Public Guardian:

PO Box 16185
B2 2WH

Tel: 0300 456 0300 or

Opening hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - 9 am to  5pm
Wednesday - 10 am to 5 pm

This section provides practical advice to help you to care for someone with dementia:

Choose from the following services:

  • Independent Supported Living

    Our unique, small group specialist accommodation in a domestic house – the positive alternative to residential care

  • Home Support

    Helping you to continue to live at home and remain independent

  • Day Centres

    Our specialist centres in Newcastle and Hexham, offering fun and therapeutic activities and a break for carers

  • Residential Respite Care

    A home from home, with expert care in a dementia-specialist respite centre in Newcastle

  • Advice and Information

    Need advice on how to support someone with dementia? We have over 20 years’ expertise and offer free advice for people with dementia and their carers